If you're in a relationship with a partner who makes you feel unhappy or frightened you don’t have to put up with it. Abusive behavior is not normal, if it’s happening to you its OK to ask for help. Abuse can happen to anyone of any age or sex, culture or religion.
Abuse in a relationship is not always about violence or sexual abuse it can be emotional and/or verbal abuse (face to face or on the phone or internet) such as:
- Saying things that make you feel small, when you're alone or with friends
- Pressuring you to do things that you don't want to do - having sex with someone who doesn't want to is rape
- Checking up on you all the time to find out where you are or who you're with
- Threatening to hurt you or someone close to you including pets
- Threatening to dump you if you don’t do what they want
Ask yourself these questions about your partner:
- Can they admit when they are wrong?
- Doesn't hit, push or kick you?
- Let's you be yourself?
- Doesn't call you names?
- Doesn't force you to do anything you don't want to do - like have sex?
- Doesn't try to control what you wear, where you go or who your friends are?
- Doesn't make you feel safe when you are with them?
- Doesn't scare you?
If you have answered 'NO' to any of these questions, you could be in an abusive relationship and may want to talk to someone such as your mum or dad, a friend, a teacher or a youth worker. REMEMBER if you don’t get the answer that you think you need try again. If you are in danger - telephone: 999
DON'T WAIT ... TAKE ACTION and READ RELATED ITEMS?
Coventry Positive Choices Young Person's Service is a free and confidential young person's early intervention and substance misuse service for young people, their families, carers and affected others.
You can contact ChildLine about anything. No problem is too big or too small. Whatever your worry it's better out than in. There are several different ways you can get in touch with us.
No information will be passed on to anyone like your parents, teachers, GP/family doctor or social worker without your knowlege.
Good or bad relationships
Grooming is when someone builds an online relationship with a child or young person and tricks or forces them to do something sexual.